Canyon 4 - Canyon Leader's Course
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Katoomba, NSW
- Product code: Canyon4
"These courses present industry best practice in a practical, hands on format. A great way to update your skills. The guide's stories are a highlight!"
Geoff Fox - President of Upper Blue Mountains Bushwalking Club, Attendee of several ASM Canyon & Abseiling skills courses"
"Just spent the week with these champions. Learnt a heap from the guys that know their stuff inside and out! Want outdoor recreational skills call these guys!"
Brett Suttor - Physical Training Instructor, Australian Defence Force
Effective leadership is easily the most critical element in ensuring the correct management, safe conduct and successful outcome of any canyoning expedition.
The ASM Canyon Leaders Course is a four-day course designed to provide participants with the skills and techniques required to become capable Canyon Leaders, and will give you the foundation for further qualifications. The ASM Canyon Leaders Qualification integrates current best practice Canyon Leader Training and is aligned to Nationally Recognised units of competency.
The Canyon Leaders Course is ideal training for School Teachers, Outdoor Education Staff, Climbing Instructors and Adventure Training Leaders.
This complete Canyon course will provide you with the necessary skills to:
- Assess, build & replace Abseil anchors in Canyon environments
- Operate retrievable rope Abseil systems
- Rig Canyon Abseils for rescue & group efficiency
- Abseil with self back-up safety systems (French & Top Prusik)
- Perform self rescues
- Operate belay systems for your group
- Deal with emergencies such as a “stuck” abseiler
- Understand basic rescue systems
- Efficiently handle ropes
- Ascending ropes using improvised methods
- Improvise Abseiling devices
- Perform rescue Abseils
- Operate basic lowering and raising systems
- Identify and avoid risk found in vertical Abseil environments
- Undertake risk management strategies
- Descend past a knot & edges
- Ascend past a knot & edges
- Operate complex hauling systems
- Operate complex lowering systems
- Back up Abseil anchors and anchor components
- Better understand necessary Trip Planning techniques
- Select and use Industry recommended equipment
This course will ensure you are a capable canyon leader who is equipped to manage the dynamic situations found whilst canyoning. You will be skilled to tackle emergency situations should they arise.
- Prior abseiling & or Canyoning experience is necessary for this course
- This course involves higher level skills than the Canyon 2 Course - if you want to get the most out of this course, it is essential that you have a good foundation of Abseiling skills before signing up.
Please see our Abseil 2 Course for these skills!
- Australia's most experienced Adventure Guiding & Outdoor Training Specialists
- Nationally Qualified & Highly Experienced Guides
- All Technical Equipment
- Delicious & Nutritious Lunch
We provide all specialist personal and group abseiling equipment including harnesses, helmets, etc.
After we process your booking an information sheet detailing specific equipment and dress requirements will be sent to you.
Lunch is also provided on this adventure- Please be sure to inform us on your booking form if you have any special dietary requirements!
If you do not receive an immediate booking confirmation you may be the opening booking for this activity, our office will contact you shortly to confirm your booking.